Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Second lines and jazz funerals

So I've had this on my Facebook for awhile and though it's time to switch things up over there, I really love this poem, I guess it is, and re-reading it now just made me really homesick. I absolutely cannot wait to go down and visit again, since that pesky Katrina ruined my last trip down there.

Give me a king cake smear
Give me a beignet kiss
Give me a French Quarter morning that looks like this

Give me the Endymion krewe
Give me the Times Picayune
Give me a drunk and lazy crawfish boil in muggy, sticky June

Give me a six-pack of Dixie
Give me assorted Abita beers
Give me a city where it snows once every ten years

Give me a green neutral ground
Give me a Mardi Gras ball
Give me a medium rare burger at my 'ol Port of Call

Give me a glittery drag show
Give me the streetcar line
Give me the House of the Rising Sun
Give me a Tchoupitoulas sign

Give me shrimp and oyster po boy
Give me a lovebug season in May
Give me New Orleans AND I WILL DEFINITELY STAY

No comments: