Sunday, July 09, 2006

World Cup Final

Opinions desired.

On the Italy goal that was called back, were the Italians offsides?

I say yes, though the ever brilliant Marcelo Balboa said he didn't see it.
I had the game Tivo-ed and and went back through it a few times. It looks to me as though the French all took a step forward, leaving every one of the Italians offiside. Balboa doesn't comment on whether it's offside until someone touches the ball directly in front of the net. As we're all much more intelligent and knowledgable than him, we know that offsides is from when the ball is kicked.

You'll notice that the linesman's flag isn't up immediately, but I think he's waiting to see who touches the ball. Not that it matters, as the entire offensive front there is in offside position.

Anyway, what do you all think?

3 comments:

fifipoo07 said...

On the bbc they did the replay and they showed and said that about 3 were offside. I knew Materazzi was no angel, he had got sent off in this tournament, either against the aussies or the USA.

Michael Pigott said...

Compelling from a world wide perspective, but I'm ready for our football.

Kanu said...

I thought he was off, although by the slimmest of margins. The dude who was clerly off by a good bit wasn't Toni, but Toni looked barely off to me.

The only video of it I could find was kind of crappy, but it has now been removed from Youtube because FIFA made them take ot down for being used without permission (apparently poor FIFA don't have enough money).