Monday, July 24, 2006

Hot button issues

So last week on Deadspin, they posted a bit about a column by Scoop Jackson on ESPN.com that was then rebutted in his own paper by Jason Whitlock.

The topic was diversity in sports journalism.

Here's Scoop's column.

Here's Whitlock's.

Please, please, please read them both.

I did, and then I sent an email to Jason Whitlock. Some highlights:

"I find diversity such a difficult topic to discuss precisely because it's such a hot-button issue. I often find that those I discuss it with aren't willing to be open or frank about the topic. And I find I have to choose my words carefully in order to make sure I don't step on any toes.

A question I've always wanted answered, but have always been badgered when I've asked is this:
Do you want to be hired based purely on the fact that you're black?

Because I don't think I would be happy with a sports writing job where I knew I was hired because they thought they should have a woman around.

Is that too idealistic? Possibly. But I also don't believe that I'm the only one out there with some pride.

At what point does one swallow their pride if it means getting their dream job?

We all know this isn't an easy industry. It's run by a bunch of ornery, old, white men who had to pay their dues and expect us all to do the same. And most people who want to be journalists aren't ready or willing to put in the long time and effort required. They're not willing to work for peanuts and spend two years in Idaho putting their time in at some podunk paper so that someone in an actual town or city might hire them. Regardless of their race.
I mean, what other profession requires you to have a college degree but doesn't pay you enough money right out of school to even pay off your student loans.
The closest crappily paid position is a teacher. At least they get three months off every summer and can pursue other money-making opportunities.

(And can I go on a minor tanget here? Could there be two more prevelant professions that are as grossly underpaid? Teachers are self-explanatory in terms of how underpaid they are for the service they provide. But doesn't the American public rely on newspapers/radio/and TV on an almost hourly basis? Doesn't that render a good journalist absolutely invaluable? Does the American public encounter any other profession with as much frequency as journalism? Acting may be above that, but look at what kind of money they make. It baffles me how journalists can be so grossly underpaid. Same as teachers.) "


I'm not sure I want to say more on this topic. I could post for days about diversity in journalism. I guess I just wanted to put these two columns out there and get more eyes to see them.

1 comment:

TNIRISHFAN said...

BTW I posted something