Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Rickie Weeks and the Brewers back to .500

Most of the time I'm mentioning Rickie Weeks because I often have to utter his name in a loan groan, shortly after he commits an error. He leads the NL in errors. Also in Hit By Pitches. We've actually gone over and over why this kid should be on the roster, but he's our lead off, had a good on base percentage and quite a few stolen bases. If not him, we have no leadoff hitter.

Well tonight he had 3 hits, 3 RBIs, 2 singles, 2 walks, a triple and the game winning ground rule double that was marked a single because he never touched second, as the winning run scored.

The Brewers, in 13 innings, beat the Cincinnati Reds. Swept them actually (take that Mutton Chops!) In the top of the inning we gave up a run on a bunt gone awry, as Aurelia scored from second. So we needed to come from behind again - with the bottom of the order due up. Two well placed singles and a walk later and we've got bases loaded, no outs and the top of the order on the way. Which is where Rickie Weeks gave me a reason to not shake my head and cover my eyes.

We went through basically the entire bullpen, 8 pitchers. The Reds used 7. We had only the backup catcher left in the dugout for any sort of pinch possibilities. It took 4 hours and 19 minutes. But we're back at .500 baby and the Cubs in town for 4 games. I dare not jinx it, but I'll be at the game on Sunday, so I'll report back on the series then. Hopefully I'll remember the camera (though that's not bloody likely, I forget it all the time)

Once again, it's a comeback win for the Brewers. Seriously, they drive me nuts, they're constantly just flirting with .500, but I love this team.

2 comments:

TNIRISHFAN said...

Man our bullpen just sucks. We can not figure out if we suck or are good.

Nicole said...

Sounds much like the Brewers. The fact that we've had as many as 3 starting pitchers on the DL at one time really isn't helping. We have a 20 year old from Alaska in the rotation and 2 guys who until recently were relievers. It's a grab bag, every time we play you never know what you're going to get.