Thursday, July 20, 2006

Minor MLS shakeup

Gansler out as coach of K.C. Wizards.

* as I've said before, the soccer community is really quite small. I actually know Bob Gansler. His son and my brother were on the same team for probably a decade. We're all a part of the same soccer club.
Basically, 10-15 years ago, the soccer community was even smaller. Before MLS, before really even the A-League was on anyone's radar, you had the AISA/NPSL/MSL/whatever other acronyms they used. We've had a team here in Milwaukee since the inception of that league. And my dad worked for the Wave for a decade or so. We also had an A-League team from the beginning.

We're talking, the Milwaukee Rampage is where Brian McBride got his semi-pro debut out of college. Tony Sanneh of the Chicago Fire, part of my club - the Bavarian Club, who are always players on the National Amateur scene. Sanneh also played for the Wave, our indoor team, and for the Rampage. Tony Meola played in the NPSL. One of the former Wave players' wives was on the Women's World Cup winning teams. (I'm blanking on names right now)


Ok, I sound like I'm bragging, and that's not at all my point. I was trying to point out what a small community, really, that soccer in the U.S. is. And sometimes I'm convinced that's not a good thing. If we're going to be taken seriously, it can't be good for someone with my meager experience and connections to be able to pick out as many pros as I can and say "I know/have met him" Until this community grows, we're in trouble, I think.

2 comments:

fifipoo07 said...

Sometimes i wish soccer wasn't such a big thing over here. Why? We actually seem to win stuff in minority sports. Which is why when ever the olympics come around we suddenly get enthusiastic about stuff like canoeing, sailing, shooting etc. What do you think about scrapping the collegiate system and getting your players over to Europe at 16, 17, 18? Pippa

Anonymous said...

You're right, the US soccer establishment does come from a pool too small to really increase the odds of success internationally. Getting players to Europe per Pippa's suggestion might improve their skills but tapping into say Hispanic Church leagues etc. might yield more players.