Wednesday, August 23, 2006

More New Orleans stuff

These two songs are by Cowboy Mouth off their new album Voodoo Shoppe. When I saw them live at Summerfest at the end of June, they gave me goose bumps and almost made me cry - at a rock show, for pete's sake! But they're really quite perfect. Instead of trying to explain it, I'll just put down the lyrics.



Home

It's hard in St. Bernard; there's tears in Algiers
If you're calling for New Orleans, there's nobody here

So fix yourself a drink; pack your things and go
Last one out turn out the lights and board up the doors

Chorus:
I wanna go home, whatever it takes
I wanna go home, when the levee breaks
I wanna go home, where the streets have holes
I wanna go home, where the good times roll

The Ninth Ward's disappeared; the Treme's overflowed
It's Dante's Inferno in the Superdome

The inhumanity of this insanity,
Could have been prevented oh so easily

My heart is heavy, feet are draggin'
Everywhere it seems
This time even Fats ain't walkin' back to New Orleans

Repeat chorus

The world is gonna pay; cuz we'll be everywhere
There'll be dancin' in your streets and music in your hair
And when that water starts to fall you won't see us around
Unless you're buying us a drink in our hometown

Repeat chorus twice


AND


The Avenue

The water broke past the levee; my heart beats hard and heavy
There's so much more to say, but I'm silent for now

I'm lost deep in the emotions that hit me just like an ocean
that seemed so refreshing once, but it's not, for now

Chorus:
Because the marching bands will roll
I'll find my city in my soul
Because I plan on growing old on The Avenue

My best friend's house lies beneath
the teardrops God has bequeathed
to add to the pool of rage that will flow for now

I never thought I would see
in my lifetime my memory
But Fate has a way to show who's the boss, for now

Chorus

And the parades will ride again
I'll see my family and my friends
Because this cannot be the end of The Avenue

It's so hard to take this hurt and hide it on a shelf
It's just cuz I never want to be from somewhere else

Deep in my darkest hour
Standing alone in the shower
I let my emotions go, for now

Chorus

And the parade's will ride again
I'll see my family and my friends
Because this will not be the end of The Avenue

And yes the marching bands will roll
I'll find my city in my soul
Because there's no where else to go but The Avenue

___

You can hear clips of these songs here.


No comments: