Monday, August 14, 2006

Decision 2006


The official Cute Sports EPL team is: Chelsea FC

Now before you all get on me for choosing the Champion, I have to say that I really didn't know how to choose. I was hoping someone would come up as a front runner or some random thing would just make me want to choose one team over another.

I had it narrowed down to Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelsea and the deciding factors were tenuous and silly at best.

1. I've seen Chelsea play
2. They have an official Midwest (U.S.) Fan Club

And frankly this right here illustrates why I'm afraid this little self-challenge may be over before it begins for me. If I can't even be hardcore about the choice, however will I commit to a season of Tivo-ed matches and internet searches?

But I will press on with the Blues. Plus, I figure that any taunting about this being a bandwagon choice, if not already deflected for my 2 already mentioned reasons, can also be explained away by saying "What are the odds they'll win again?" I mean picking a team that just won 2 is like catching the wave a little too late.

Ultimately, I really want this venture to succeed and I feel that in order for that to happen I really needed to go with a team that's going to get a lot of coverage, that's going to draw me in and who's games I'll be able to see with some frequency. I think the Midwest Fan Club can only help me get excited and involved.

It makes a difference that I've seen them live, even if it was a friendly, and can relate to them and the fans (though I regret not being able to sing You'll Never Walk Alone) My final inconsequential reason is that I really, really like Michael Essien. There's no real explanation for it except I think he's a crazy good defender and I wish I could have been a quarter so good.

So there you have it, a totally unscientific or even reasonable choice. Chelsea FC, the choice made so that my venture is successful. Time to purchase some Chelsea gear...

6 comments:

TNIRISHFAN said...

December 17th, your going down. Chelsea.
Sheesh we waited this long for Chelsea?
What a let down.

One weird thing about EPL though
Everton and Chelsea both call themselves the Blues. Everton also calls themselves Toffees. Can anyone explain this?

Anonymous said...

Eh, Chelsea is odds on favorite to win it again, as they've signed Ballack and Sheva (the best midfielder in Germany and best striker in Italy). Good luck, it'll be alot of wins for ya, but, not so rewarding, I'd expect.

According to wikipedia's Everton page:

"There are several possible explanations for how this name came to be adopted, the most well known is that in those days, there was a business near the ground called Mother Noblett's Toffee Shop which advertised and sold sweets, including the Everton Mint, on match days. This also led to the Toffee Lady tradition in which a girl will walk around the perimeter of the pitch before the start of a game tossing free Everton Mints into the crowd."

Or so the story goes.

But they aren't the only "blues". Manchester City and Birmingham are both known as "the blues" as well. B/c, well, they wear blue (Coventry is known as the "sky blues").

There are also a couple of "reds" as well.

Anonymous said...

You might want to check out Kanu's explanation of soccer programming this season -- unless you have Dish Network and Setanta, you're probably not going to see a lot of Chelsea games. Except for Champions' League, of course.

Nicole said...

Well I'm so sorry to dissapoint. Before I went to the Chelsea game, I was hands down going to pick Liverpool. Then someone wrote in with a good explanation for Newcastle.

In all honesty, it ultimately came down to which team would help this venture succeed. I know I won't seem many games because of the crazy network deals, but I've got a better chance of finding Chelsea info than I do with Newcastle.

Plus, you have to admit the Midwest fan club is cool.

Now I feel all bad that my choice didn't meet with approval..

The Fan's Attic said...

Well, my Liverpool team beat your Chelsea team in the Community Shield match on Sunday. Be prepared for a strong test from the Reds.

I agree, Michael Essien alone, is almost enough for me to cheer for Chelsea. But not enough. He is probably my favorite current player.

Good luck with this venture. I am three weeks into my venture and I am already findin it tough.

Nicole said...

Oh, I watched the match. Since I was basically down to those two teams, I even considered deciding my pick based on who won, but in the end I chose Chelsea.

Besides, no one really chimed in for Chelsea, so this should lead to some good rivalries and ribbing amongst us all.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, as I'm sure I'll need them. Today I chose a fantasy team, so I'm hoping that too will help keep me involved, especially with some of the lesser shown teams.