Thursday, September 07, 2006

This week's picks

Nico's choice of this week's games led to considerably more research and soul-searching than last week's. I didn't feel too upset minded, though I hemmed and hawed over a few of these games....



Michigan vs. Central Michigan
No question here. As much as I'd love some crazy upset loss (anything to bring Michigan down a few pegs...) it ain't happening. I don't expect this game will even be worth watching.

Mississippi State vs. Auburn
I loathe Auburn about as much as someone who's not from the south and not an Alabama fan can hate Auburn. Maybe it's worn off on me. Maybe it's because I've been there and I wasn't impressed. Most likely I'm bitter that Wisconsin didn't get more credit for dismantling them and everyone this season is talking about Kenny Irons and fails to mention how incredibly useless he was in that game...
That being said, it's Miss. State...

Notre Dame vs. Penn State
I really thought about picking Penn State here, but Penn State's got a few question marks as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if this was a different Notre Dame team. Maybe if the game was later in the year and I could put more faith in Penn State's QB.
Maybe if Penn State weren't a Big 10 team.
But that's not the case and I'm feeling like this Notre Dame team is a team of destiny this year. I don't see the big obstacles in their way. Plus, this is the start of four straight weeks of Big 10 opponents for ND and they need to come on strong. So it's Notre Dame, but likely not by much

Boston College vs. Clemson
I know a whole lot of nothing about these two teams. But I do know that BC isn't looking so hot out of the gate and this is a big ACC game off the bat. Clemson needs this and I don't see them dropping it. Plus, after the article about Ray Ray (poor guy - what kind of name is that?) I can't pick against them.

Colorado State vs. Colorado
This is probably the biggest toss-up game. Colorado got their asses handed to them, both literally and figuratively last weekend. They have a lot of face to save. Few things are more motivating to 20 something boys then not coming off like bumbling idiots. There's some rep cred on the line here. Plus, Colorado State's losing a couple of players and has had some distractions this week as some current and former players are being accused of fraud and identity theft. My guess is that their heads aren't all in it.

Florida State vs. Troy

West Virginia vs. Eastern Washington

Alabama vs. Vanderbilt
Todd, Nico and Wes will never hear the end of it if their boys wuss out to the wimps from Nashville. As far as I'm concerned, no one of an status should lose to Vandy. EVER. This is an unescapable rule. Their the redheaded stepchild of the SEC. They can't escape that.

Florida vs. UCF

LSU vs. Arizona
Arizona had problems putting points on the board against a lackluster opponent last week and I don't think LSU is a step down from there. This is a talented team this year and I think in other years they'd be in serious contention for a national title. There's a bigger than normal crop of really damn good teams out there this year. If any of them stumble, look for the Bayou Bengals to be all to ready to step up.

South Carolina vs. Georgia

Texas vs. Ohio State
Texas is a damn sight better this year than I thought they'd be originally, but unfortunately for them, the drop off is going to come sooner rather than later. I'm picking Ohio State, but I'm secretly hoping they fall flat on their faces. I'd love for another wide open Big 10 year. Plus, it feels like a big of an alternate universe when you're talking about Iowa from day 1 as a possible conference champ. But I digress...The fact that this game is in Austin I think makes a difference, but I don't think it will be enough. Last year this game had national title implications and I think it will this year as well. But I don't think it will matter to Texas one way or the other. The way I see it, this is a make or break game for tOSU.

No comments: