Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dismal times...

So I thought I had programmed the DVR to record last night's "replay" on public television of the Badger's showdown with Western Illinois. But apparently I'm not very smart and there was no such programming. So I only saw the bit of the game left when I got home around midnight.

Unfortunately, the stuff I did seem was dim at best.
The 34-10 score was much more indicative of what Western Illinois COULDN'T do than what Wisconsin COULD do.
The defense looked lackluster at best. Pass protection didn't seem to be there. There were a lot of dumb penalties.

Basically, this looked like the game we all expected to see last week.
It's a new coach and for all intents and purposes, with the exception of a few, it's a new team. There's a little scratch and dent to be expected. The construction site hasn't been cleared of all the debris.

But then we played really well last weekend and we all thought that we'd just skipped that phase. Turns out we were just delaying it for a week.

I didn't see much of the game, so I'll refrain from in depth coverage, as it would all just be second and third hand anyway. I do want to be able to provide some deeper information and further coverage, it just hasn't worked out the past two weeks. That's ok, though. We haven't started with the real opponents yet, anyway. Look for me to cut my teeth next week so that I'm all prepared to give you real coverage for the Michigan game.

The bright side of yesterday's game is that PJ Hill once again looked like he's primed to step up into the patented Wisconsin running back mold and provide a lot of yardage. He's not your typical back, so maybe mold isn't the word, but we're a running team any way you look at it and PJ Hill is filling Calhoun's (and Stanley's) gap quite well.

(PS, that other game of football in the state of Wisconsin this weekend? Never happened!)

No comments: