Sunday, June 18, 2006

Nuts and bolts. Nuts and bolts.

WE. GOT. SCREWED!

I just havent been too into the blogging thing this week ... residual accident issues, I'm sure. But I watched the US World Cup game today with a first timer and I literally couldn't figure out how to explain that this game isn't how soccer is played.

Silly me, I thought the players were supposed to actually play and have control of the game. I thought yellow cards were second warnings. That's what they taught me in my years as a fully licensed soccer referee.

And honestly, the officiating sucked, but what pisses me off is that it was against Italy. We got taken out of that game and we could have and likely would have won it. We actually showed up for this game and we looked GOOD. We looked better than I've seen us look in awhile. We could have beaten a frickin' powerhouse.

The best thing I can say about the officiating is that I'm glad that it will be the story. I'm glad that this will keep the uninformed know-nothing-about-soccer media from talking about how much we suck because we didn't win.

...

Also, Ghana flat out out-played Czech today. The second goal was brilliant. Watch all the short passes leading up to it. Watch the formation and teamwork. Absolutely brilliant tactical soccer. Good for them.

No comments: