Monday, June 19, 2006

More USA-Italy and World Cup stuff

This is a story in the London Times that basically calls the USA-Italy game a hackfest and a disgrace to the beautiful game.


I found the link here, on this ESPN.com guy, Michael Davies', blog about the WC. I've been reading most of his stuff and I have to say I enjoy his attitude, that he's clearly just a fan who happens to have a killer press pass and that he's as excited about how America comes off to the rest of the world as he is about wins or losses.


His point in this post is that regardless of the outcome or the officiating in the USA-Italy match, it's flat out the best thing that could have happened for us. He talks about all the angry faces he encounters in the press room.

BECAUSE WE DIDN'T LOSE!

Basically, the US went out and proved that we don't suck. We played with a 3 time champion. Nine of our guys outplayed 10 of theirs. ITALY. We played with ITALY!
The rest of the world will still only give us grudging, if any, respect.

"The "Working" Press Room, Stadium Media Center, 12:25 a.m.I'm still coming down from the high. Genuinely one of the best football games I've seen in my life. And make no mistake, that was football out there tonight. Hard-nosed, violent, every inch of the field contested, fan-inspired, battling -- in spite of the ref, dramatic, passionate, breathless football. The atmosphere was evangelical, a communion of faith, doubt, determination and fear between the opposing players and the opposing fans. All witnessed by the nonbelieving disciples in the international media.
It was such an instant classic, so enthralling, so mesmerizing, so unexpected, it needs a moniker -- like the War on the Shore, The Thrilla in Manilla.
I like the Pfight in the Pfalz.
God, look at all these miserable faces around me. Nothing they hate here more than the U.S. matching up to one of the best teams in the world. "



And he's right. It was just plain good football. And most people didn't think we were capable. Especially not after the display against the Czechs.

And though this seems to echo what he says, I promise these are things I thought on my own as well!
*I made the comment to my boyfriend while watching the match that I love Bruce Arena because he looks like an American football coach. He's got the paunch. He's more Fulmer than not. He throws his hands and rolls his eyes. You don't seem him in a suit. He's not prim and proper and stodgy like some of the other coaches. He's hilarious. I think that some of Arena's faces belong in the Pantheon of great faces. There's no 2 ways about it, I could watch a US telecast just for the shots of Bruce Arena. He's comedic genius!

*I have been pleasantly surprised and proud of the rapport, demeanor and class of our team. One thing I've always found in US soccer is a lack of the diving and theatrics that seem to be a staple of some of the European teams. I grew up playing this game. I'm as educated as a fan can be about the beautiful game. 20 years of playing, into college, and 6 years of refereeing can do that for you. I know that diving is a part of the game. I'm not saying we don't do it. But I enjoy the uniquely working man's attitude that I see from our teams year after year. Ironically, it's that Everyman working quality that the rest of the world hates about us.

*I love saying Oguchi Onyewu's name! It's stuck in my head. The kid is a monster. Most of the professional sportsmen of this country, in any sport, can't dream of having this kid's body. Yes he's rough. But he's not a hack. I appreciate that.

I love the World Cup for the same reason I love March Madness. Anything can happen. Only this is the biggest stage there is on the biggest scale there is. No one else does this. No other sport provides this worldwide level of international competition. It's so much fun to watch.

1 comment:

fifipoo07 said...

wow you really know your stuff about refereeing. Sadly england also had a poor standard of refereeing in our first game...and let's just say we've suffered the same before ( especially Urs Meier in Euro 2004). I also thought Arena looked hilarious, but it didn't really strike till I read your comment that he does look like an american football coach. I don't think your team have anything performance wise to be ashamed of. If they can be a match for the Italians then I see no reason why they shouldn't beat ghana and have a decent shot at qualification. Pippa