Monday, April 17, 2006

Roe v. Wade

An interesting article, from USA Today of all places, about what would happen if Roe vs. Wade was to be overturned.

There was a map here, but it's screwing up my layout, so hit the link to check it out...


_________________

and some thoughts on politics, religion and other volatile issues....

I'm a big fan of discourse and discussion, especially with those who have opinions opposite yours. There's no better way to learn your best arguments than from your "enemy." (for lack of a better word)

I did years of debate, so personally, I think the easiest way to beat someone is to learn as much as you can about what they have to say so that you can pick it apart and break it down piece by piece.

Between the objectivity that comes with being a journalist and my years of Student Congress and debate, I find it hard to form hard and fast opinions on hot button issues. I'm used to having to argue both sides and most times I really do see valid points from opposing viewpoints.

Plus, no matter how hard you strive for objectivity, if you have hard and fast convictions, I think it's near impossible to keep those overtones out of your head and thereby out of your writing.

AND, while I absolutely feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion, there's no faster way to piss me off than to try and force yours on me. I'm serious when I say that I love discussions and debates with people who have opposite beliefs, but I believe that they should stay that way - Stating your opinion and honestly listening to what I have to say. Not getting angry, defensive and not listening. Not telling me I'm wrong. They are opinions. You are entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine. There is no right or wrong. You can learn so much that way and become so much more educated and intelligent. You can never really know a subject until your as much of an expert on the side you disagree with as you are on your own.

No comments: