Sunday, May 14, 2006

Multitudinous Emotions

Holy crap am I scared! And sad. And afraid. And excited. And in disbelief.

My entire life just changed because of one 47 second phone call. And while I could not be more excited about this opportunity, I am absolutely scared to death. And more than anything I'm really really really sad. After the initial 20 or so seconds in which I was totally stoked about the job offer, I started crying. Because holy crap (I'm trying not to swear here. Trust me, many many more f-bombs were dropped today) I have to leave my boyfriend and my friends and my mom (this makes me both ecstatically happy and depressingly sad) and everything that I just spent the last year becoming comfortable with again. And the thing is, I'm not complaining. I'm just plain sad. Mostly about my boyfriend, who I guess should be called my soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend, or maybe STBXB. Clearly, I have angered the relationship fairy. I don't know what I did to wrong him/her, but damn if it doesn't seem like I sure pissed It off.

Anyway, I don't want to whine too much. My mind is just going a bazillion thoughts a second as I try to process this and somehow find the balance between being excited and being really upset.

Because let's face it, this is basically my dream job right now. It's the best I could hope for with my experience and the fact that the last year of my last was an absolute waste as far as my career. But whereas most brand new reporters I've known had to move to podunk middle of nowhere, I get to go to Florida and be less than an hour from two major metropoli. I mean, let's think about this. Idaho, covering Nascar in one of the Carolinas, middle of nowhere Illinois ... or Florida, smack dab in between Tampa and Orlando. Yeah, I think I came out on top here.

Plus, my editor is from Louisiana and another guy on the staff is from Wisconsin. I'll have LSU and Wisconsin friends. Maybe I won't have to watch all the games alone :)

That's enough of my late night ramblings. I promise, back to sports tomorrow. I saw a great baseball game tonight, which I'll share about tomorrow.

2 comments:

TNIRISHFAN said...

just got connected again. Read your update and congratulations. Will talk more when the time allows it... at work.

Papa said...

Cool. New Job. In the South, where old times are not forgotten.

COngrats, Nicole. You'll like it down here.