Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Because worrying about the Cubs wasn't giving me enough of a heart attack..

The Cardinals are now 3.5 games back after the Brewers' abysmal performance the past two days.

The Cubs are winning 7-6 over Cincinnati after a rain delay. Should they win we'll be just a 1/2 game ahead of them.

To top things off, Prince Fielder received a three-game suspension today for his scuffle with the ump in Sunday's game. He will, of course, appeal and likely get the sentence lessened. (P.S. - when Prince got hit in the head earlier in the season, the opposing pitcher got a 1 game suspension.)

Some interesting facts from today's jsonline:

The loss was the Brewers third straight overall and also their third straight at Miller Park, where they fell to 39-22. The last time the Brewers lost three straight at home was from April 4-7 when they lost the last game of the opening series against the Los Angeles Dodgers and the first two games of the next series to the Chicago Cubs.

For much of the season the Brewers held the best home record in baseball. Now they have the third-best home record. The three straight losses at home
Joe Dillon is now 8 for 12 with two triples since being called up Aug. 1.

Since their 24-10 start vaulted them to the top of the NL Central, the Brewers have gone 38-48 over the next 86 games.

...

I'm trying so hard not to be a doubting Thomas or Nervous Nancy or whatever other cliched euphemism you want to use which maintaining a reasonable sense of whether or not we're going to blow this thing.

It's so easy to be down on this team right now and there are so clearly a ridiculous number of question marks on the pitching staff alone - but I've been following this team all season and I've yet to just completely give up. I'm well aware that we're so far down the "same old Brewers" path that we can barely see the starting gate, so don't think I'm completely delusional. Maybe I'm a homer, but I can't give up on this season yet. This is the most exciting a season I've ever experienced. Football starts soon and so far I haven't been able to care, so wrapped up in the Brewer's have I been. Maybe it's that I don't want to fail because I've got so much invested in this season. Only time will tell.



Coming Friday ... some football! Wisconsin's fairly universally ranked in the Top Ten preseason. Are we being over hyped and set up for more disappointment or is this team really going to make a run for the Big Ten title. We'll take a look this weekend...

No comments: