Monday, September 24, 2007

However, the Pack doesn't suck

As I said in the previous post, I had low expectations out of the green and gold this season. I'm sure most Packer fans will agree with that sentiment.

No way did I (or anyone, really) expect us to open the season 3-0 (against 3 of last years playoff teams)

Nor did I think that the general agreement would be that the Packers will be NFC North champs.

Yet here we are, with what is without a doubt the worst rushing attack in the pros ... and we're 3-0. I'm certain there's no other 3-0 team out there that would feel they should throw on every down when it's 1st and goal from the one.

As this SI.com article states, the Packers are one of the great surprises to start the season.

""No one gave us a shot to be 3-0 right now,'' Favre told me Sunday evening, "including me.''

Let's start there, on the list of the things we never thought we'd see when the leaves started to turn:

1. Favre's under control, Green Bay's won seven in a row, and the Pack is one of five unbeaten teams in football. And there's that record thing. "Wow,'' Favre said an hour or so after the Packers beat the Chargers 31-24. "It's been a long time since we played a big game and we said 'wow' at the end.''

Favre turns 38 in two weeks, and it's like he can see the end of the line from here. He sounds so happy, so appreciative of having one last shot to be really good.

"I'm studying like I've never studied, preparing like I haven't prepared,'' he said. "The video guys have loaded all the tape on my computer, and I'm looking at it at home more than I ever have. This week, I was up 'til 11 o'clock working on the Chargers.''

His coaches told him last spring to be less Favrian, less daring, and he's doing that. Against the physically imposing Chargers, he had two negative plays -- two sacks, no interceptions -- while throwing for 369 yards and three touchdowns.

"There may come a time when I think out of the box, but that time's not now because things are working too well,'' he said. "Now, dumping it off and letting guys run after the catch is working. It's great.''

As for tying Dan Marino's record of 420 touchdown passes, Favre was properly deferential to Marino on Sunday -- "I could throw for 600 and not be in his class," he said -- but he consistently lets it be known the numbers are fairly meaningless to him. He wants one more shot at January football.
"

No comments: