Sunday, September 09, 2007

Badgers win, don't look so great

Ok, my homerism is going to come out here, but I'm going to admit it up front, which is the first step to recovery.

I guess I just never looked at last night as a big upset bid. I'm not sure why. I think it's mostly that I can't get in my head that (at the time) we're a #5 team. I'm just not buying it. I've seen this team. It's not better than last year's team. Last year's team had a hard time cracking the top 25.

That being said, when we came out of halftime looking just as flat as we did in the first half, I lost some faith. There's no doubt that UNLV was hyped up during that game and we were not. Had we lost, that, for me, would have been the biggest factor.

I certainly don't think we strolled in there expecting to walk in and walk out with a win. Which is actually more scary than if we had. If we lost because we were cocky, I would have been pissed, but that's better than losing because your team hasn't looked like they're at all ready for this season or deserving of their ranking.

And Wisconsin, for 2 weeks now, has looked like they barely deserving #25, much less #5.

That's more disturbing than anything. There's no way this team can take the field against Penn State looking like they have.

And finally, I'd like to point out once again the Special Teams issue. Certainly it was better this week, than last. But that muffed extra point was damn near to being the deciding factor.

1 comment:

Hermano said...

Nicole,

I thought you guys looked really good the first week against WSU. Sure they scored first, but you were the only Big 10 team to actually beat a quality team. Plus, with that defense comes a far better offense, Donovan looked good.

Per the second week - I couldn't watch because it wasn't televised where I am (Ohio State country), so I can't say. But Donovan came up big again with that scramble.

This is an odd year for college football, so look around at your neighbors at #5, they look no better than UW.

I still say, UW looked like the best team in the Big 10 past couple of weeks, as they played better competition (and beat them, HA UM!) than anyone else.