Sunday, September 09, 2007

Holy college football craziness, batman!

Since I had a pretty chill weekend, we decided to head out to a sports bar type restaurant last night as the Brewers were on at 6, LSU was on at 8:15 and the Badgers were on at 9.

Little did we know that we picked such a great night to have every game imaginable on.

First off, the SEC had a really rough night.

I wish I could have seen more of the Auburn/USF game, but that was the TV turned a bit away from me.

Turns out Auburn's lucky they were even still in the game to make it to OT, as they gave up 5 turnovers. USF helped them hang around as they were 2 for 6 on field goals.

I saw someone pick USF in this game and thought they were nuts, but some research shows USF beat ranked West Virginia and Louisville in the past two seasons.


The other game I would have liked to see was the crazy back and forth between Hawaii and Louisiana Tech. Hawaii scored a TD on the first possession of OT, but LA Tech answered. And decided to go for the win with a 2 point conversion. They were stopped and Hawaii wins.

I'd like to say that I fully support the 2 point conversion decision by LA Tech. Go big or go home. LA Tech isn't going to a bowl. They aren't even going to win their conference. In the end, whether this game was a win or loss on their record mattered little. So they went for the glory of knocking off a ranked team. I applaud the coach for putting his butt on the line and for the crap he's probably taking all day today. But the loss means nothing and the win means a ton. Good for them.

The South Carolina/Georgia game ended in upset, but I can't say it kept my attention. Steve Spurrier as a defensive mastermind? Now you know this football season is upside down.

App. State clearly set a standard that we're hoping to see every week. I was more than a little disappointed that most of the upsets that seemed to be brewing yesterday ended up without any fireworks.

No comments: