Friday, February 02, 2007

At least we didn't have to hear the "will he, won't he" all off-season long...

So Brett Favre is back. Frankly, I don't think anyone finds this to be a shocker. I'm not even sure it's much of a story. This horse was beaten so much in the past year, that I'm fairly certain most anyone outside (and many of us inside) Wisconsin don't care to hear any more about it.

Clearly, the Packers and the state of Wisconsin are elated. I'll admit to being among the happy, but my reason is purely that I find him to be less of many evils. Brett may not be spectacular anymore, but he's by far the best we've got. Aaron Rogers failed to prove himself in the one chance he did get this season, falling over even before anyone huffed or puffed. And while this lady really, really likes Ingle Martin, the rest of us don't even know who he is.

Additionally, there isn't a person around who can tell you who the Packers are without Brett Favre. I can only assume that when Brett does retire that the Packers (and the state of Wisconsin) will react much like one does after a breakup. You don't really know who you are without that person. Going from "we" to "I" is not going to be easy for Packers fans and I'm certain it won't be pretty. People thought 2005 was a rough "re-building" season, but I can assure you that no one is prepared for like post-Brett. Brett Favre IS the Packers. He's the entire identity of the organization.

While some teams manage to make the break-up transition smoothly (see Montana to Young) teams like Miami still haven't figured out who they are without their BF, I mean QB.

Thus far, the Packer front office has failed to show that they are willing and able to make a move to bring in our Steve Young-style transition guy. We must hit the free agent market to find our rebound guy (PS, it's not TIM COUCH!)

Finally, apparently this guy really doesn't like Brett.

No comments: