Monday, October 30, 2006

Packers suck less than expected

Ok, so I know going into this season we all had low expectations, but I have to say that the Packers are exceeding mine..

We've sustained a lot of injuries on the offensive side of the ball. Our receiver core - well it's not so much a core but some guys we pulled up from the practice squad.

Besides, watching highlights last night, I realized that we are FAR FAR from being the worst team in the league.

While this is heartening, I realized that if this keeps up, we could be a sub .500 team that has to draft 12th.

But seriously, look at this list of teams with worse records than ours:

Washington
Detroit
Tampa Bay
San Francisco
Arizona
Buffalo
Miami
Cleveland
Pittsburgh (!!!!)
Tennessee
Houston
Oakland


I know that's not the who's who of the NFL by any means, but, lest you forget, we're one win away from equalling last year's mark.
Look for the positive people!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real question, to me at least, is, long-term, is it counter-productive to be competitive in a rebuilding year?

karl said...

they are going to be ok
just wait until january
9-7
first round of playoffs
favre plays one more year
next year 11-5 nfc championship game

Nicole said...

Moin, I don't think it is. I mean, we're not sucking, but I wouldn't go so far as competitive yet - we haven't beaten anybody worthwhile yet.

Also, if this is a rebuilding year, what was last year? Rebuilding implies that the team has made strides to draft and acquire players on which to build a team. In the past few years, the Packers front office has failed to do that. Drafting Rogers last year and Hawk this year does not a team make.

Until I see Ted Thompson outed, I don't see this team being able to make changes, rebuild or move forward. His personnel decisions have been poor and the team has suffered because of it.

Anonymous said...

Well, when I say competitive, I mean by winning a few games, getting close to .500, ending up with a draft pick in the low teens, etc.

I guess I'm a little nutty in that, when my team goes bad, I want them to go very bad and end up with high draft picks to quickly rebuild, or so the theory goes. I suppose, now that I think about it more, that doesn't happen much in the NFL does it? Where a team quickly rebuilds through the draft. I suppose I've been playing NBA GM in my spare-time a little too much.

As for Ted Thompson, yeah, I agree. We have really suffered without Ron Wolf around to pull the strings.

Nicole said...

I don't disagree that we've done well with our first round draft choices the past two years, but I don't think we've managed the draft well overall.

I've been told that the theory is that we're clearly cap room and making plans for 2-3 years down the road to be able to pick up some draft picks and free agents.

It's a decent theory, but I don't know that I give Thompson that much credit.

And I'm not sure that such a rapid fanbase (and ownership) will be willing to wait ANOTHER 3 years to see signs of life.