Thursday, October 12, 2006

Football vs. Hockey

Now that hockey season' s started, I've jumped right in and I realize that's led to a derth of football posts.

And I've thought about this and about why that is. I'm just not into that into the football team this year. The schedule is lackluster at best. It's hard to get up for consecutive weeks of sub-par opponents.

I know schedules are made in advance and actually, considering what a young team we have, I'm quite thankful for this schedule. This year could have been really rough, instead we're ranked.

I still watch the games every week. But I'm finding it hard to get up emotion to write posts that anybody would want to read. In addition, though it's not as if there are a lot of low points to cover, either, but I'm finding a lack of big stories to cover. How often can we talk about Stocco? His arm, his patience, his pocket presence - these were surprises last year, but they're old news now.

By midway through the season, the P.J. Hill story has been written - over and over.

This isn't to say that these guys aren't good, or even that they're not worth it. But to write about them would be beating the dead horse. I'm not going to say anything you haven't read before.

All in all, it's a rather ho-hum team. They're not great. They certainly don't suck. But as material, they're quite difficult.

So instead I've focused on the hockey team, who is quite successful, has a lot of expectations and a lot of potential. I feel that writing about them passionately is a hell of a lot better than forcing myself to commit something (ANYTHING!) to screen about football, just because I should.

I promise I haven't forgotten about football. I'm just looking to write something that you haven't seen 24 times already.



But on the plus side, I realized while writing this that I'm complacent about the football team - that I expect a bowl game. I was going to write that it's hard to get excited when all signs point to the fact that we'll likely be playing on New Year's in Florida - again. And while for a moment I was all bored about that - I realize how huge that it. 20 years ago, a bowl game would have been a big damn deal. It says a lot about where we stand as a program on the national scene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah well, 20 years ago more than half of all D1 teams didn't go to bowls either.