Saturday, October 18, 2008

Tom H gets Sveum's reaction

Despite all the nice words that Sveum will stick around on the coaching staff from Melvin, Sveum says no way, too awkward, no how.

Sveum: "My heart was ripped out"
By Tom Haudricourt
Friday, Oct 17 2008, 08:45 PM


St. Petersburg, Fla. - I just spoke with Dale Sveum, and to say the least, he was devastated when given the news by general manager Doug Melvin that he won't be the Brewers' manager in 2009 and beyond.

Sveum, who served as the interim manager for the final 12 games as well as the NLDS against Philly after Ned Yost was fired, was told he no longer was under consideration for the job.

"My heart was ripped out of my chest," said Sveum. "I was shocked.

"I thanked him for the opportunity. Now, I'm in a tough situation. I'm out of a job. The most disappointing part of it all is that I'm no longer going to wear a Brewers uniform. That's the toughest part. I loved the Brewers and the organization."

Sveum said Melvin told him he decided to look for somebody with more experience. There's not much Sveum can do about that because he never managed in the big leagues until those final 12 games with the Brewers.

"I just wish there wasn't so much emphasis put on veteran managers," said Sveum. "I'll match my knowledge of baseball and my ability to slow the game down with anybody."

The Brewers left the door open for Sveum to remain on the coaching staff but he said that would be too awkward to happen.

"The odds are against it," he said. "Nothing is etched in stone but over the course of baseball history, that doesn't happen very often."

No comments: