Friday, October 24, 2008

Former Badger Hockey Player Adam Burish - now Jerry Springer bodyguard!

Apparantly Burish writes a blog for the Chicago Sun-Times - here's the latest installment:


My day as Jerry Springer's security guard
By
Adam Burish

















Some of you have asked what we do away from the rink. I wanted to share something with you guys that I was lucky enough to do this week. On Tuesday I was a guest security guard on the Jerry Springer Show.



It was my job to be on stage and break up the fights. For those of you that watch the show and wonder if the fights are real, I can promise you that they are. I had to do some real work to break up some of those. However, it was nice to be on the other side for once and not have to worry about somebody trying to punch me in the face, or trying to punch somebody else in the face!


I did gain some respect for the refs in our games, and realized how hard it is to break up a fight. I will tell you though the hardest fights to break up were not the guys but the girls. Not only did I try and be careful where I put my hands while separating them, but what are you supposed to do when the girls start pulling each others hair? I have to admit I was a bit lost when that happened.


Two girls started slapping each other as hard as they could and when I got in the middle to break it up they each grabbed a hold of each other's hair. So I did what made sense, grabbed their hands and tried to pull their hands off the others hair. However, when I finally pulled one of the girl's hands away she didn't let go and pulled the others wig right off her head and then threw it into the crowd. I felt a little responsible for that one!


Overall the show was such a blast to be a part off. I was pleasantly surprised as to how many Blackhawks fans were in the audience. When I got on stage they started chanting things like, "We love hockey fights," and "Detroit Sucks!"





Jerry Springer was a tremendously nice man, and although he grew up a Rangers fan, he promised me he would cheer for the Blackhawks this year. It was a pretty wild experience and I can't wait to get a chance to do it again.



A special thanks to Officer Pete Kelly, the head security guard on the show, who invited me to come on. Talk to you soon!

(via Deadspin)

No comments: