Thursday, November 29, 2007

Battle in the Big D

I hate Dallas. You can't have been a Packer fan in the 1990's and not hate the Dallas Cowboys. The fact the current team doesn't resemble that former team at all holds no bearing on the matter. Brett Favre has never won in Dallas and I lived through every one of those heartwrenching playoff losses in Texas Stadium.

Sure, I hate them less now than I did then, but that's only because they haven't mattered in the Green Bay universe in the last decade or so.

I'm positive the blogoshere has been talking this game to China and back, but for some reason I can't get incredibly hyped. I mean, I'll be watching and all. I'll be cheering and hoping Ryan Grant scores me some major Fantasy points, but I think I just don't get what the big deal is. I feel like the hoopla surrounding this game is so manufactured.

This game is hoopla merely because nothing else is.

Other than deciding where the inevitable matchup between these two takes place during the playoffs, this game is really not that big of a damn deal. Yet every news outlet in the Milwaukee area is giving this the same coverage they give the Super Bowl.

Winning or losing this game will determine little in either team's season.

Plus, it's a game most of the country won't see. And if I read one more article with one more crack about how " I'm one of four people outside Texas and Wisconsin with access to the game on TV tonight. " We get it. The NFL Network sucks. But what you're saying isn't technically true. You do have access to the NFL Network. You just don't want to buy Dish Network. Big difference. That's great that we can all bitch about it, but it would be nice if someone would do something about it.

Edit: I was fairly optimistic about this game until I just got the news that both Charles Woodson and KGB are out. Crap!

3 comments:

3000 said...

Woodson and Gbaja-Biamila out was the difference in the game. In anticipation of the type-lashing you'll surely give Al Harris, not to be too big of an apologist, but you can't underscore the absence of Woodson.

Harris had a godawful night, and the delay of game penalty after the interception-but-not-really was unacceptable. But Owens is the best receiver in the conference, too strong to be muscled at the line. I'd be willing to wager that in man to man coverage, Harris was getting very little safety help because they were probably cheating towards the side Woodson would have been to help Bush (which worked really well...). Then, in zone coverage, it seemed that when Owens went in motion, the safeties and nickle/dime backs had no idea how to shift coverage.

Harris will be the biggest goat, I'm sure (on that late 3rd and 19, there was no reason for him to stay so close to the line; he must have been anticipating a screen pass or something), but I think that the reason the Packers secondary struggled (looking past, of course, Woodson being out) was Bigby's decision making.

On the other side of the ball, though, how about A-Rodg, huh?

Anonymous said...

Still hate them less now than you did back then ;)

Nicole said...

I really still don't hate them.

I'm not sure I ever really expected us to win that game, so the loss isn't a letdown.

Plus, a few good things came out of the game.

First and foremost, Ryan Grant scored me 21 fantasy points and I need a big week!! :)

Secondly, I think the emergence of Rodgers was a big thing for Packer fans. I don't know about everyone else, but I think we all feel a little bit better about the Post-Brett era now. Plus, A-Rodg has freakishly large hands.

It wasn't a stellar night for Bigby or Harris. I'm not particularly upset about one thing or the other, per se. I just feel like overall they needed to play better games. I feel like they should have been hyped as hell and they should have been as sharp as possible and I felt like for much of the game they looked lost.