Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Ballad of Brett Favre

As usual, I’m a few days late commenting on this, but I didn’t want the Brett Favre debacle to fade without a few thoughts.

Do I think Brett Favre has a point in being disappointed in the transactions made and not made by the Packer front office this off-season? Absolutely.
And he wouldn’t be alone. Every fan in the state of Wisconsin was disappointed at the lack of firepower acquired.

That being said, I think that Favre and many fans have an inflated sense of his worth. The man is not a God. He’s a damn good quarterback who is admittedly past his prime. And I don’t know that it’s right for him to make demands on a team because he wants to play one more year.

There’s part of this story that’s a bit fuzzy and I think it’s an important part in deciding whether Brett was justified or just whining. We have no idea what passed between Brett and the front office to get him to return this year. I feel like there had to be some promises made. Favre got the ankle surgery that he’s been putting off for years now. I think there had to be pressure from the powers that be to get that done. I imagine there was some deal making that took place. And I imagine that Brett told them he’s almost done and he wants to go out a winner.

If there were deals made, then I do think the Packers gave Brett and big F- You!

The flip side of this story is what some are saying it the unmitigated gall of Brett to think that his wants and desires can and should dictate the roster moves of an entire team. Sure, nostalgia says it would be great to have one last, fabulous season with the man who will be a Green Bay icon from here on out. But when Brett leaves the team doesn’t just roll over and die. Does looking to the future of this team beyond the next year and beyond the Brett Favre era make him an asshole? I’m not so sure. Sure, it wasn’t the sentimental move, but shouldn’t your GM be concerned with more than emotion?

When I first heard that Favre offered to give up some of his salary to bring Randy Moss here, I thought “what a slap in the face.” Because, really, when was the last time you heard of a pro athlete offering up some of his money to better the team?

Clearly, I’m not sure exactly what to think about this story. I feel like it’s a mighty fine coincidence that the story about Favre demanding a trade didn’t come out until he made some not so flattering comments to a reporter in Mississippi. Why would the informant wait to leak that information? Shady, shady dealings if you ask me.

I have a feeling this saga isn’t going to conclude any time soon.

No comments: