Sunday, April 01, 2007

It's almost here!!!


Less than 24 hours until opening day!!

I haven't been this excited about a baseball season ever. I'm excited for what Opening Day means in terms of the end of winter and the upcoming spring and summer. I'm excited for gameday at Miller Park and tailgating and random give-a-ways.

But mostly I'm excited for this team. We have an amazing starting rotation (all of which rests upon Ben Sheets apparently rather fragile shoulders). We have a solid defense. We have the bats of Prince Fielder, Bill Hall, Corey Hart and Johnny Estrada.

I'm more than a little nervous about the national attention and expectations this team is receiving. More than one pundit is picking us to win the NL Central, though we're not exactly talking a powerhouse division here.

But I don't think it's wrong to imagine a 90 win season and I do think that less than a .500 season will mean serious letdown. This team has been brewing (no pun intended) for a few years. We seem to have all the tools and have gotten all the tune-up we need. These guys aren't rookies anymore. It's time for them to show they're worth.

No comments: