Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Memphis: No Really, We Played A Tough Schedule

Conference USA is SO deep, in fact, that no other team in the conference had a guy nominated for the conference's Sixth Man of the Year award.

The award went to Memphis' Wesley Witherspoon who missed six games and who's stats - 4 points-per-game and 2.2 rebounds-per-game - are less than impressive. It was such an underwhelming run for the award the Witherspoon himself said not only was it not a big deal, but he didn't deserve.

Seriously - no other team in Conference USA had a guy that came off their bench that they felt was worthy of a nomination against Witherspoons' behemoth stats?

But really, the Tigers want you to know that they deserve a number one seed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOO, Sarah's going to be mad!

Anonymous said...

So, make your case to the Big East and GET US IN, that way - we can win YOUR conference 3 years in a row too! Last I checked, our conference schedule wasn't keeping us from competing for a National Championship. Not last year, nor the year before that, or the year before that! And, by the same token it won't this year. We play how we play, and it doesn't take beating the likes of the badgers (we don't need no stinking badgers) to prove that. All it takes is a modicum of basketball common sense to realize that. Try getting past the Sweet 16, then pawn your garbage on the ignorant masses.

Nicole said...

I'm not arguing that you shouldnt be in the tournament, but I dont think Memphis should be getting a one or two seed. I know you can make the argument that theyve made deep tournament runs, but a high seed does help facilitate that.

I do think Memphis should be in the Big East and DePaul should be in Conference USA. I've been saying that all season - maybe I never got around to blogging about it - I don't remember.

I do think it's on Memphis to schedule themselves a tougher non-conference schedule and prove that they can play at a higher level.

Lastly, when was the last time I even blogged about the Badger basketball team? And how is that relevant to the conversation.

Trolling the interwebs making snarky comments behind the anonymous moniker doesn't really help your credibility. You didn't address anything I actually said. I didn't say your team sucked, I didn't say they didn't deserve a bid, I just said they shouldnt get a number one seed.