Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bowls galore

I just got back from my Thursday night bowling game so I thought this was as good a time as any to pick my winners for this year's bowl games. There's little to no scientific thought here. Here we go....

Poinsettia Bowl
Tonight, 9 pm
Utah vs. Navy

I'm going with Navy, because you don't pick against a service academy.

New Orleans Bowl
Dec. 21, 8 pm
Florida Atlantic vs. Memphis

Memphis it is, but mostly just because my brother lives there

Papajohns.com Bowl
Dec. 22, 1 pm
Cincinnati vs. Southern Miss

Southern Miss is Brett Favre's alma mater. Nuff said.

New Mexico Bowl
Dec. 22, 4:30
New Mexico vs. Nevada

New Mexico's mascot is the Lobos, which I love.

Las Vegas Bowl
Dec. 22, 8 pm
BYU vs. UCLA

BYU because (just ask the candidates) it's the year of the Mormon. I'm callin' it.

Hawaii Bowl
Dec. 23, 8 pm
East Carolina vs. Boise State

After last year, you don't pick against Boise State in a bowl.

Motor City Bowl
Dec. 26, 7:30
Purdue vs. Central Michigan

It's the one time a year when I root for everyone else in the Big Ten.

Holiday Bowl
Dec. 27, 8 pm
Texas vs. Arizona State

Texas, because how sad would it be if they went from Vince Young in the Rose Bowl to losing the Holiday Bowl in just 2 short years?

Champs Sports Bowl
Dec. 28, 5 pm
Boston College vs. Michigan State

This one is rough because my two tenants are root for the Big Ten and root for the Jesuits. Gotta stick with conference glory here and go with Sparty.

Texas Bowl
Dec. 28, 8 pm
TCU vs. Houston

Luckily, no matter what, the state of Texas wins. Unfortunately for me, I hate Texas. But you can't help but love a team named the Horned Frogs. TCU it is!

Emerald Bowl
Dec. 28, 8:30
Maryland vs. Oregon State

I have absolutely no interest or care for either of these teams, so I'll take the Terrapins because it's more fun sounding.

Meineke Car Care
Dec. 29, 1 pm
Wake Forest vs. Connecticut

UConn, because admit it, before this season you didn't know they had a football team.

Liberty Bowl D
ec. 29, 4:30
UCF vs. Mississippi State

Mississippi State because of Sylvester Croom

Alamo Bowl
Dec. 29, 8 pm
Penn State vs. Texas A&M

Who doesn't love JoePa (you know, when you're not playing against him). Go Big Ten!

Independence
Dec. 30, 8 pm
Colorado vs. Alabama

Alabama, because I have Roll Tide friends, but also because I saw Colorado lose to Iowa State (IOWA F'IN STATE) earlier in the season.

Armed Forces Bowl
Dec. 31, 12:30
Air Force vs. California

Air Force for that whole service academy thing

Sun Bowl
Dec. 31, 2 pm
South Florida vs. Oregon

South Florida for their crazy season and because the Ducks are Nike incarnate

Humanitarian Bowl
Dec. 31, 2 pm
Georgia Tech vs. Fresno State

Georgia Tech because their mascot is cool looking and because I don't know that there are more than 13 people genuinely interested in this game.

Music City Bowl
Dec. 31, 4 pm
Kentucky vs. Florida State

HAHAHAHA! Stupid Florida State.

Chick-fil-A Bowl
Dec. 31, 7:30
Auburn vs. Clemson

Auburn has two mascots. They're the Tigers. They're the War Eagles. They're the War Tigers? I hate it. I hate Auburn on the basis that I have friends who are Alabama fans and so it's like an extension of their hate. Also, Wisconsin beat Auburn 2 years ago when everyone thought we'd get our butts kicked. Clemson it is!

Insight
Dec. 31, TBA
Indiana vs. Oklahoma State
Big Ten Baby!

Outback Bowl
Jan. 1, 11 am
Wisconsin vs. Tennessee

On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin! DUH!

Cotton Bowl
Jan. 1, 11:30
Missouri vs. Arkansas

Mizzou, because they got shafted. Plus, Houston Nutt left Arkansas for Ole Miss, I'm not sure if Arkansas can even show up for this game after that humiliation.

Gator Bowl
Jan. 1, 1 pm
Virginia vs. Texas Tech

Virginia, for Howie Long's kid.

Capital One Bowl
Jan. 1, 1 pm
Michigan vs. Florida

It pains me to pick Michigan, but something has to go their way, right?

Rose Bowl
Jan. 1, 4:30
USC vs. Illinois

Big Ten and I HATE, HATE, HATE USC

Sugar Bowl
Jan. 1, 8:30
Hawaii vs. Georgia

I'm still not convinced Hawaii is for real, so go Bulldogs!

Fiesta Bowl
Jan. 2, 8 pm
Oklahoma vs. West Virginia

I think this is where WVU proves once and for all they belong with the big boys.


Orange Bowl
Jan. 3, 8 pm
Virginia Tech vs. Kansas

Kansas has to win to salvage their dream season.

International Bowl
Jan. 5, 12pm
Rutgers vs. Ball State

Who cares?

GMAC
Jan. 6, 8 pm
Tulsa vs. Bowling Green

Bowling Green, because I've seen them play before

BCS National Championship
Jan. 7, 8 pm
Ohio State vs. LSU

bum bum bumbum GEAUX TIGERS!!! LSU! LSU! LSU! LSU!


No comments: